Monday, July 28, 2014

Mercy

Mercy sets us free, doesn't require that we work for it, but is offered to us before we ask for it.  God is merciful in all his actions.  His mercy works in accordance with his love, grace, wisdom and freedom.  This mercy is greater than any sin I could commit, greater than any wrong I could do.  This is the reason we have hope, that no matter what we do, we will not spend all of God's mercy.  This mercy is offered to us when we wake, while we sleep, it is woven into who we are.  We need only to surrender to it, only to acknowledge that we are created for it.  The more we learn the character of God, the more mercy will be present with us and in all of our relationships.  God's mercy is deeper than we can fathom, better than we can understand.

If I trust this mercy, I can move and be with more confidence.  Not because I'm great, but because I'm part of Someone great.  God likes to rub off on people, he wants us to find shelter in his great mercy.  If God is mercy to me, I should be mercy to those I encounter.  Not a pity or mere pardon for some act, but a disposition towards our fellow that is pure acceptance, that accepts before they have a chance to act.  A merciful disposition is preemptive forgiveness, is grace for all and is love.  Mercy doesn't hold on to anger.

God's mercy is deeper than the deepest ocean.  We can train ourselves to hear it, to let it speak through us.  In this way, I'm less defensive and have less of a need to prove myself.  Mercy can better hold paradox than anger, can give us patience, can help us see the possible good in difficult circumstances.

Lord God train me in your mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment