Sunday, October 5, 2014

Worship

I believe that we're called to live a life a worship.  This does't have to mean what we think of worship in the classic sense of the word, of standing in church and singing.  Rather, I think it means having a spirit within us that is responsive to God's Spirit.  Therefore it's not confined to the walls of a church, not confined to music either.  My joy, my laughter, my thinking, even my pain, can all be places for worship.  It's about the disposition and attitude I choose in each of these things.  I can give God praise for my laughter, I can earnestly seek him in my pain.  

I believe that worship means saying "yes" to God on the most basic level.  It's committing all my actions, dispositions, feelings and thoughts to Him.  It's saying "yes" to God with the deepest part of who we are, as our grounding of being, with the essence of who we are.

For this reason, I believe that one religion will never be alone the only place where people can experience and interact with God.  If worship is more about saying "yes" to God in our soul, of giving way to his divine mercy, than of worshiping in the right church, then I believe that it's available to anyone.  Also, for this reason, I believe that a counseling session where God isn't mentioned can be spiritual.  As a counselor, I want to encourage people to say "yes" to a bigger life, "yes" to a life that is meaningful, "yes" to hope, and "yes" to grace.  If this occurs, I believe that God is honored.

This being said, I feel that church can be a great place to worship, as long as it doesn't send the message that worship must be confined to its walls, or that those outside of these walls can't worship.  I believe that a church should send a message of love, one of hope, of grace, of equality, of justice, of freedom, of joy and happiness.  

I believe that worship is choosing love over bitterness, it's about choosing grace over condemnation, it's about saying "yes" rather than no, it's about abundance rather than scarcity.  Each day I have an opportunity to engage the day with open arms, with an open mind, with hope of being shaped and molded by the grace in each day.  But I must choose, it can't be chosen for me.  The grace is already present, God is already working, I must seek where he is working and give all towards His efforts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment