Monday, May 11, 2020

Opportunity

What is the opportunity in suffering?  When people are dying, if people loose jobs, if businesses go under, if our children get sick?  What could be an appropriate response to these, or how should be think about them?  If these are to come, do they become the new reality?  Do they say that the joy we had before was a lie and now the true nature of the universe is setting in?  Do they retroactively deny hope we had prior?  I think that in the moment, it can be tempting to think this way.  However, if we allow reality to be our teacher, than maybe good can come from even the most heart wrenching of circumstances.  Do I allow a horrendous tragedy to now define my view of reality?  Or am I open that by grace, even the most horrible circumstance can open new spaces in me, or allow me to let go of things I held on as surety and then to receive all that I really needed anyway.  I don't want to downplay suffering and tragedy, as they can make us ask the question if we can stand under their crushing weight.  However, I think that an eternal perspective could be the only way to weather the storm and then come out on the other side richer, deeper, more open and possibly with a willingness to live more simply.  This done in the dark, with much suffering.  However if we dare to believe it, then I believe there is hope even in the darkest trial.  If the alternate was true, then to me it seems that we are waiting for a tragedy, or death, to confirm what already believed about reality.  I believe that if we believe that reality is cold and dark then we will look for ways to confirm this, and that this will more likely be our experience of reality.  I don't believe that we should then just happily accept or seek suffering, however maybe, there is hope of emerging life even in the bleakest of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment